Saturday, November 26, 2011

Saturday Nov. 26th, 2011

I've been sitting here thinking about what I wanted this blog to be about. Then I remembered the conversation that I had today that had a profound effect on me.

Miscarriages and what causes them.

I still have no clue what has cause me to miscarry 14 times in twenty years. The likelihood that I will ever know is slim. Having a conversation about pregnancy and the chance of yet another recurrent miscarriage made me stop and think just how many women do lose a pregnancy. So I went in search of answers. Unfortunately there really is no clear answers.

Some doctors believe that a Chromosome abnormality is a high cause of early miscarriages. Some believe that that abnormality is the cause of more than 50% of first trimester miscarriages. That seems like a very high number to me. Why isn't there testing to make sure that Chromosomes aren't causing a couple to lose their babies? Some studies say that the rate of chromosome abnormalities in women age 35 and older may be the cause of closer to 75% of miscarriages in women that have a history of recurrent pregnancy loss.




In doing my research that I have only just begun, it is stated in most articles I have found that after the second miscarriage that I had; genetic chromosome testing should have been completed. I have never had that type of testing offered to me. I don't have any idea why not. A history of 14 miscarriages should have provoked any doctor I have had to ask about that type of testing.

How is someone like me; not a doctor; supposed to know what type of testing to ask for? There is testing that can be done to accomplish finding out if the miscarriage you have is the result of Chromosome abnormalities. The problem with this type of testing is this; if you miscarry at home the pregnancy will more than likely not be a suitable sample as it may have deteriorated to the point of not being usable.

Everything that I am reading so far seems to point to a type of testing known as Microarray testing. This testing is also done on the miscarried tissues. From what I have read; if this abnormality is the reason of your miscarriage it is still an option for specialized fertility treatments. IVF with Preimplantation Genetic Screening can be preformed.

The trouble I see with that is; you have to be rather wealthy for those types of procedures. Let's face it the average person can't afford those types of tests. As well, not all insurance carriers will cover these tests either. So, for the average person you may never get to know why you keep losing baby after precious baby.

I have gathered research from all over and continue to try to locate all the information that is available to try to figure out what has been the cause of my miscarriages.

Information posted on this blog can be found from the source of my information:
http://www.genesecurity.net/other-testing/miscarriagetesting/?gclid=CPHVjMP006wCFYHe4AodYHDUqA

If you are also having difficulties with conceiving or with carrying a pregnancy to term; I would love to hear from you on what testing you have undergone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment